Beijing

I have fallen behind in my blogging. It's kind of feast or famine with me it seems. Anyway, I fell behind because of our fabulous trip to Beijing! The Chinese government blocks blogs so we could not access our blog there or anyone else's. (I guess it's part of their strict media control.)

We went for a week and 2 of those days Adam had a Law & Religion Symposium. I actually did really well getting around Beijing with just Marian and me. Most the signs were in Chinese and English, which was great. The challenge was that no one spoke English, whereas in Hong Kong, almost everyone speaks at least some. Anyway, it was great when Adam's meetings were over and he could communicate.

We saw the major tourist attractions and also talked to some American/church member attorneys practicing international law there. That was very helpful in giving us a realistic view of what life is like for them. It is definitely not for the faint of heart. It sounds like 70-80 hr weeks are normal for them. One attorney's wife told us how on her husband's third day out of town, one of their kids prayed for their dad in his travels. One of the other kids said, "Dad's out of town?" Anyway, Adam and I have done a lot of thinking/talking/praying about if this is the direction we want to take our family. Don't get me wrong. These are great people and have created strong gospel-centered homes. But going into it knowing what we now know feels a little scary.

Anyway, on to the fun stuff...Last Monday the three of us went to Tiananmen Square to start out the day. It is huge! It's also a little eerie to think of the sad uprising/massacre that happened in 1989, with no mention of it there (of course).



We were dressed up because we went out to lunch with an attorney, Robert Lewis, and his wife. They treated us to the most delicious and authentic Chinese food I've ever had! I've been pretty conservative with eating food here because I don't want to get sick. I loved this though--even the fish! We sat in a little booth down in the ground and we had to take our shoes off. (The person taking the picture is on ground level.)



After lunch we went to the Temple of Heaven. This is where the emperors would go pray for a good harvest every year. It's a huge park and the temple buildings are scattered throughout the park. This is the Hall of Prayers for Good Harvests (or something like that--the main building).


One part of the temple was a circular three-level terrace. On the very top was a marble stone that, supposedly, if you stand on and speak, the gods can hear you very well. So people go stand and speak/pray and have their picture taken. Well we put Marian on it...


and here is the crowd that gathered around to take pictures! Man, Adam and I would have this whole Hong Kong trip paid for if we charged for every picture with or of her!


It was fun because the people gathered in the park and played instruments, sang, did karaoke, danced, played cards, etc. etc. I enjoyed seeing them in their element. They seemed to really have fun. This guy was so cute playing a strange 2 stringed instrument with the bow attached. He liked Marian and started playing "Jingle Bells" and "Doe, a deer..."




And here are some ladies dancing.



Well, that's all for now. More to come because that's only one day of our Beijing adventure!

Comments

Melissa Markham said…
Finally, the long-awaited posts on Beijing! (I don't really have a life cuz I've checked your blog at least 3 times, to see if you've posted about your trip.) It looks so fun! I can't wait to read more. I loved the Marian fan club pictures. :) She's SO cute!
Jentry said…
Marian is a super star. I can't believe how she is loved by everyone in the street.
youngfam said…
Looks so great! I love the one with everyone taking pictures of marian.... i guess you are getting a little taste of being famous! This sounds like a great experience for you guys and you are smart and lucky to see what it is really like before deciding on the future. i am excited for more posts!
Cary said…
Ritz!!! So glad you are all well and having a grand time! I love the haircut too!!

I have to tell you a funny story. Hannah is now the proud owner of a little Bible like Marion's. Keven's grandparents were cleaning out some books and thought she might enjoy it since she loves books. Anyway, it makes me think of you whenever Hannah plays with it. Now Marion and Hannah can play without fighting over the Bible!!
Amy said…
How funny that she's like a celebrity! So cute!!!
Deanna said…
I know we've "talked" about Marian's fans but to actually see a pic of it is even more hillarious! That restaurant looks prety cool.
Carrie said…
I love the crowd gathered around Marian--how cute! And I'm proud of you for enjoying some fish, Moey. Way to go! I'm glad you guys are doing well, WAY across the world.
"Hang it there!" :)
Love, Bobbie
Tiffany said…
How fun to be traveling all over China! I had some catching up to do since we have been in Taiwan for the last bit. But it's so funny to see you having some of the same picture we have from Taiwan! The Buddhist temples, walking on the rock massage paths, random people on the street wanting to take pictures with our child, etc.

How are you enjoying the food? I have found that I do OK with anything that's not from the streets. And since I have huge problems with germs and cross contaminations, I had a hard time with a lot of the foods in the markets.

How long are you staying? Hope you have lots of fun!
Maggie said…
What a cool trip. I love the crowd around Marian. Your pictures brought back a lot of fun memories of my trip to China. AHHHHH. Can't wait for you to get home so I can talk to you more about it all.
Oh that is so fun to read! That picture of celebrity Marian is the best! I am so happy you guys are having such a fun time.
I must say that even with how much spence and i love traveling and experiencing new things, I don't know if we could handle a 70-80 hour work week, that sounds tough! So, at least live it up while you are there right now! Can't wait for the next update.
M said…
Speaking of media control, what are you going to do about Marian's fan club?! She is so cute. Thanks for sharing your adventures. Miss you guys.

Popular posts from this blog

Arriving in Wuhan!

January 2024

Emily