What do you read?

Last year one of my New Year's resolutions was to read more. I tried for a book every month but didn't quite make it. However, I loved reading more and reading for enjoyment, not to get a good grade on a test. Here are the books I read:

President Hinckley's biography (finished in 2008, started in 2007)
Gilead
Bonds That Make Us Free
Covenant Hearts
Man's Search for Meaning
A Tale of Two Cities
Pride and Prejudice
Austenland
Black Like Me (still finishing)

I enjoyed all of them (OK, I didn't love Gilead) but especially LOVED A Tale of Two Cities. I didn't know anything about it before so didn't have any "great expectations" (sorry, just couldn't resist the Charles Dickens pun) and loved it. It was very powerful. So if you haven't read it, I highly recommend it.


Here's my list to read next:
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Bronze Bow
Seven Habits of Highly Effective People
Screwtape Letters

What other recommendations do you have? I'm pretty open to anything except scary. I would love to know your favorites!

Comments

Deanna said…
I just read The Peacegiver by James Ferrell. I really enjoyed it. It's a fast read. You should join Good Reads. You can make a to read list and then check recommendations of other friends.
Hey Martha, I just went to the library and picked up a few that I had gooten lots of recconmendations on, I havnet read them yet but I hear they are great

Wednesday Letters
Letters for emily- wright
Blue Castle - montgomery

I need to borrow tale of two cities from you and read austenland, Thanks for the reccomends!

Naomi
Jentry said…
I loved An Omnivore's Dilemma if you're into some non fiction and Persuasion is a quick weekend read that I loved as well.
Mimi Collett said…
These aren't new exciting books, so you may have already read them, but I recently re-read Little Women, Little Men, and Jo's Boys, and I really enjoyed the stories and lessons in them.
*Meg Larsen* said…
I LOVE To Kill a Mockingbird and the Screwtape Letters!

I completely agree with Mimi, if you haven't read Little Women or it's been awhile, it's a must.

If you're aiming for classics, I have to include Anne of Green Gables--I love those :o) Also, the Giver is great quick read.
Mimi Collett said…
Oh yeah, and if you want to borrow the books, I own the three that I recommended, and I just got the whole Anne of Green Gables collection for Christmas, so I have all 8 of those. You're welcome to them. I mean, I know you live across the street from the library, haha, but sometimes things are checked out. :)
Carrie said…
Moey,
How funny! I was going to tell you that I got the whole Anne of Green Gables series with my Christmas $$ and am working on the first one . . . then I saw that two other people mentioned them! They must be classics. Good luck on your reading!
Love, Carrie

Popular posts from this blog

Arriving in Wuhan!

January 2024

Emily