a little scare

OK, maybe it was a big scare. Tuesday morning I got up and was going about my normal routine. As I got off the exercise bike, however, I almost immediately started cramping. I thought it would go away so kept doing my normal thing--shower, bathe Marian, etc. We went up to the Draper temple open house and by the time we got out, I was worried because the cramping had continued, even increasing in intensity. So we went to the doctor office for a fetal fibronectin test (just so you know, a cervical swab does NOT help an already cramping uterus feel any better). It tests for proteins that are released if your body is going into labor. They told me it would take 4 hours so to go home and rest. I went home and laid down until the pain was so bad it was radiating to my back and feeling more and more like my labor pains with Marian. At that point I remembered why epidurals are so wonderful! I also got really scared thinking about the little 25-week babies I saw in my NICU rotations and the long road ahead of them and their parents.

Well, the story has a good ending (thus far)--the test came back negative and I've stopped having painful contractions--just a lot of Braxton Hicks contractions. I've been taking it easy this week since then and was totally spoiled yesterday when Mom came down and took care of Marian, filled the fridge with yummy meals, and pushed me into a chair whenever I stood up. What a lifesaver!

Well, hopefully this really only was a little scare and is gone for good. I'll keep you updated. In the meantime, have a happy Valentine's Day tomorrow!

Comments

Anni Winings said…
Martha, What's your favorite treat, or pasttime - is there anything I can do? I'm so close, and would love to help if you need it! Annicka
MBurt said…
I think that the exercise bike just got retired! Gaining a little extra weight (not that you will) is totally worth keeping that baby in their til she is done. I am glad everything is okay. Take it easy though or you're going to be on bed rest with a 2 year old. That can't be fun. Happy valentines day!
Anonymous said…
Ahh! I'm glad the test came back negative. Please let me know if I can do ANYTHING to help!
Deanna said…
Scary! Don't you just love Moms? I'm so glad she's relatively close to take such good care of you. Do you think it really was exercise induced?
That is scary, I am glad you are ok! We can't wait to see you guys this weekend, so take it easy this week, so you can party harty next Saturday!!! ;)
Mimi Collett said…
That is way scary! I am glad that you weren't going into labor and that you don't feel those pains anymore! Let me know if you ever need anything!
Melissa Markham said…
Slooney -
that's too bad! I'm glad the test came back negative. Do you need to send Marian to PA for a while so you can take it easy? :) We'll be praying for you...
Lachelle said…
I had the same issue with Xander, and took the same test that also came back negative thank goodness. There were several times I thought I was going into labor, but in the end he only came two and half weeks early. Hopefully, it will work as well for you. I know it's hard to be on bed rest with a two year old, but take advantage of all the help that's been offered. Wish I were closer to help out too. If you just need someone to talk to that's been through bed rest, give me a call.
Unknown said…
Martha, let me know if I can do anything to help. I'm officially over the exhausted phase so I'm totally able to bring in meals or come play with Marian if you need a break in the evenings.
Martha, I am so glad you are okay. That sounds scary. Good thing you are a nurse and didn't mess around!!! :)
Maggie said…
That is so scary. I'm glad to hear that all is well. Keep resting and good luck.
Amy said…
Sooo glad things are okay! We'll keep you in our prayers!
Kev and Chels said…
I'm glad you're doing better. Sorry you had such a scare! Hope you have some more down time in your near future:)
Jessica said…
I get nervous when I see a posting with the title "a little scare". I'm glad to hear everything is okay and your mom came to help. Don't you love moms! I wish I was near by so I could help. You're in my thoughts and prayers.
P.S. Can you please give Annicka my new email address - jessicaPcuthbertson@gmail.com. She is trying to give me access to her blog. Or can you please give me her email address. I don't have it. Thanks!
apewinterton said…
I hadn't heard. I'm so glad that things are OK so far. We'll pray for you!
The Brymers said…
Hey Martha, did I know you were pregnant? I'm pretty sure I did, but for some reason I don't know any details, like due date, gender, etc...
You need to get a facebook account!! I just started my blog BrymTime.blogspot.com
We need to have ya'all over!

Popular posts from this blog

Arriving in Wuhan!

January 2024

Emily