Athens! Starting with the Parthenon 😊
It feels like a good time to resurrect the blog and share some adventures now that we're in Athens. When it comes to Athens, where better to start than with the Acropolis? A couple of weeks after we arrived, I learned that the Acropolis would be open to the public until midnight on the night of the August full moon. I decided that we needed to go! So we headed out in the Volvo (stay tuned for a post dedicated to the Volvo) and got there around 8:30 pm. We walked the path up the hill and found three beautifully lit up white marble buildings with the full moon rising behind them. So gorgeous! However, I soon realized I didn't even know what exactly I was looking at. Humanities emergency! (On a girls trip with my mom and sisters earlier this year, my sister Melba (humanities professor) lamented to my sister Liza (ER doctor) that she doesn't feel quite as useful as Liza since no one ever calls her with a humanities emergency. Well Melba, I feel like I'm living one big humanities emergency and am in desperate need of your help. I'm living in the land of ancient amazingness and don't know what any of it is!) Anyway, right away I googled "what buildings are on the Acropolis?" to figure out what I was looking at and found that, in addition to the Parthenon, there is the Temple of Athena Nike, the Propylea, and the Erectheion on the top of the Acropolis, with more structures on the side of the hill. We weren't able to go to the top/up close to the buildings but enjoyed the amazing view of them lit up with the full moon rising behind them. Our best view was actually of the Propylea--the bigger building to the left and the "monumental gateway that serves as the grand western entrance to the Acropolis" (thanks AI), built between 437 and 432 BC--and the Temple of Athena Nike--the small square one on the right, built between 427 and 421 BC. (In case you're wondering which you're probably not...we couldn't see the Erectheion. It's tucked behind the other structures.)

This was about the best view we got of the Parthenon
Photo shoot with the backdrop of the Parthenon lit up
I love Eve's face in the crook of my elbow!
I'm excited to go back to go to the top of the Acropolis and tour the Parthenon!








Comments