Wish us luck!

Well, our big adventure is just around the corner. We leave on Thursday for our seven weeks in Hong Kong. Our leaving inched closer for so long and now each day flies by! Time gets shorter and the list of things to do gets longer. We finalized our housing--a 220 square foot studio apartment for $1000 a month! What a steal! I'm sure it would be the same going to downtown London, New York, or anything other big city. I am really excited though. I'm antsy to get there and see what it's like, as I have no idea what to expect.

I haven't done a "real" post in awhile, so I'll write about some of the highlights of the last several weeks. One big event was my mom's 60th birthday party. My dad arranged for all 8 kids and as many spouses as possible to be there. (Melba, Carrie, and Anna all live out of state with their families.) We had Macaroni Grill and Cheesecake Factory take-out. It was fun to all be together and celebrate Lowli, who is such an amazing mom and friend.

The circumstances were a little unusual, as we had the party at the hospital. That's because my dad's first hip surgery failed and he got a second surgery last Tuesday. He was still in the hospital for the party, so we had it at my brother-in-law Dan's office, which is connected to the hospital. He and Lindsay decorated so it looked like a real party! Anyway, because of this surgery, Adam and I have spent the week in Salt Lake helping my parents (hence the reason there are no pictures on this post--the camera equipment is in Provo). He came home Monday and has been doing OK. He is a real trooper and a much better sport than I would be! To top off the week, both the water heater and the furnace have been replaced!

Adam had a unique opportunity last weekend: the law school hosted 4 (maybe 3) supreme court judges from China. The dean invited Adam to be a part of many of the events of their stay because of his involvement with China. He spent all day Sunday taking them to Temple Square (they were featured VIPs at the choir broadcast) and Park City. He had several nice meals with them and drove them to and from the school and their hotel several times. I missed him being around but was glad he could do it.

Other highlights: snow on May 1st (shouldn't that actually be a low-light?), Kennecott Copper Mine and the Pie tonight with the Larsens and Jensens, I FINALLY started my high school scrapbook, new struts on the car (we don't bounce for twenty seconds after every bump in the road), and Marian gets cuter every day!

So...wish us luck on our adventure. And please blog a lot while we're gone because I think it will be my lifeline! Till then...

Comments

youngfam said…
I am so excited for you! what a great experience! Sounds like you have had a busy few weeks. Tell your mom happy birthday! and i hope everything heals fast for your dad. Have fun!!!
Maren said…
Wow, you ARE in for an adventure! I can't believe how tiny your studio will be-- 220 sq. ft!! You'll have to get out and see the sights for sure! I hope you have a wonderful time. Good luck!
Martha - I have been thinking about you guys this past week - I think you leave tomorrow. That is SO exciting. I wish lance and I could some in your suitcase! ;) You will have an incredible time. I can't wait to see pictures and hear about your exciting time over there. And 220 square feet- what that is nuts! GOOD LUCK!
Tell your mom 1-20 for her b-day, no make it 1-10 billion!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nicole said…
this will be such an exciting adventure for you--i'm totally jealous!
Tiffany said…
Wow! That would be such an adventure! What are you guys doing there for seven weeks? We're going to Taiwan at the end of this month to visit my mom's family. Let me know how the flight goes with a toddler.
Deanna said…
So, I'm just reading this now, missed it somehow. I'm so glad we got to hang out before you guys left. I'm excited to hear about your adventures there, I too, would have no idea what to expect as I know almost nothing about China. I miss you guys already! Thanks for being such great friends. We'll miss you even more the longer we're gone. And happy late birthday larry :)
Ally said…
Why are yopu guys there? have fun!!
Katie said…
Moof, so excited for you! You are off for a wonderful adventure. I cannot wait to hear all about it on your blog. I was sad I didn't get to see you the other day. We will for sure get together when you are back so we can hear all about it. Hope your Dad recovers quickly too.

Popular posts from this blog

Arriving in Wuhan!

January 2024

Emily