a good journal entry

I was getting ready this morning and, as usual, Marian was following me around, running in and out of the bathroom and slamming the door. So after she had closed the bathroom door (with her inside and me outside) another time, I went to open it and it wouldn't open. It's a stubborn door, so I started putting more weight into it and eventually was basically throwing my whole body against the door. Not even a budge.

Now, here is where I need to make a confession. I never lock the bathroom door. In my house growing up, the lock on the upstairs bathroom door didn't work. It opened just as if it weren't locked even if you did lock it, so there was no use bothering. After living there most of my life I developed this horrible habit of not locking the bathroom door. So anyway, I honestly didn't even remember there being a lock on the bathroom door because I never look for one. But it was quite obvious that there was one since the door was belligerently not moving.

At this point I called Adam who was supposed to start class in 5 minutes. I told him that I would try getting in the window using the ladder. In his firmest, most threatening voice told me no and that he'd be home in 10 minutes. So for the next 10 minutes I lay on the ground looking through the one-inch space between the door and the floor (the house is 105 years old) at Marian, who was having a great time and totally oblivious to the trouble she caused. She thought it was great lying on the bathroom floor trying to squish her face under the door to give me kisses.

Eventually Adam (in this situation he may prefer to be called Batman) came to the rescue. He climbed up the rickety old ladder, took off the screen, and slithered through the window. (Luckily he'd opened the bathroom window this morning.) At his dramatic entrance, Marian looked at him and said, "Whoa Dadda!"

Lessons I learned: 1 Our bathroom door does have a lock. 2 It's not that hard to break into a house. 3 It's great having a super-hero husband.

Comments

Adam Birk said…
TO INFINITY!!!!.......AND BEYOND!!!
Deanna said…
That would have scared me esp since Azure has been known to stick her hands down the toliet when we forget to shut the bathroom door! I'm glad you could see her through the space on the ground. I also like the description of Adam's firm and threatening voice. Way to save the day Adam!
Jentry said…
What a great story! We've had to slither into windows before to get into our house. Gives you a great sense of security.
*Meg Larsen* said…
sounds like a nice adventure! i know what you mean about bathroom locks--it's totally the same for me. Hmm...yup, our bathroom door locks too. Good to know, as i'm sure Scotty will figure that out someday too! Though i'm not sure even I could fit through our bathroom window...plus it's about six feet high and in the shower.

Let's hope I don't have to call Adam to come rescue Scotty!
Carrie said…
Moey--How scary! I'm so glad Daddy came to the heroic rescue. That happened to us in Spokane, when Katie closed the bathroom door, then opened a drawer right next to it that prevented the door from opening. We finally slithered a screwdriver through the crack to push the drawer shut, but it was scary!

I'm not sure if you could quite understand Abby's message on your phone Sunday morning, but she was telling you thank you for the bunnies. She really likes them! She had me take pictures of her with the whole bunny family today (2 bunnies at a time). That was so cute of you to send those.

Love ya! --Bobbie
MBurt said…
I love this story. I can totally imagine her having a blast. Thanks for sharing.
sadie said…
loved this post. hi martha!
Mimi Collett said…
So, I don't think it is a horrible habit to not lock the bathroom door. I only do when I am in public bathrooms, so you totally don't need to feel bad about having that habit! That is awesome that your husband is a super hero! (And sorry that it's easy to break into your house!) What an experience! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Arriving in Wuhan!

January 2024

Emily